Saturday, December 06, 2008

Hello to Comics, Interlude 1: Hello to VIDEO GAME ADS!

If any one ad got me excited about video games, it was this one for Metal Gear on the NES. I still toiled in the Atari Mines when I got Marvel Tales #215, so the prospect of realistic trucks and HUGE PILES OF WEAPONS seemed so exotic and thrilling that I spent countless minutes poring over this ad, imagining what it would be like to blow up terrorists with a rocket launcher, or rush to cure myself with the mysterious orange antidote. And a remote-control missile? Are you shitting me? I thought controlling a mere tiny motor vehicle would be a mind-blowing experience. And who knew I would ever need to punch through a wall in one hit?

Actually playing the game turned out a lot less exciting than anticipated, and it wouldn't be until years later that realistically blowing shit up would become more visually appealing and involve a lot less lurking and a lot more gratuitous boom-boom.

6 comments:

Beurre said...

I remember those adds also, how they lied to me and made the games so much more disapointing...

Dennis said...

Dude, you need to un-disappear and fire off an email once in a while. People are going to think you went to that twilighty zone

Joel said...

Hi, I came across your site and wasn’t able to get an email address to contact you. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back and we'll talk about it.

Thanks!

Joel Houston
JHouston791@gmail.com

Liaqut Hossain Lovelu said...

i really enjoyed the topic . loved it . i will surely book mark this blog . thnx a lot . hope to read out some more interesting blogs soon . have a good day
Colchester Plumber

sewa mobil jakarta said...

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Michael Syaukas said...

I really liked this part of the article. with a nice and interesting topics have helped a lot of people who do not challenge things people should know.. you need more publicize this so many people who know about it are rare for people to know this... success for you..... .!