Saturday, April 23, 2005

Grant Morrison Is Fucking with Me

Finally, after nearly ten years, I got my hands on a copy of The Invisibles #25 of volume one, the great Mr. Six/Division X story "And a Half Dozen of the Other" by Morrison and Mark Buckingham. It's nice to finally read creepy little Mr. Quimper's first appearance, and always good to see more of ol' Mr. Six. But that doesn't really get into how Grant Morrison is fucking with me.

Firstly is the panel to the right. Had I not gotten this issue at a time when an Amityville Horror remake is in theaters, I doubt I would have recalled it well enough to get the joke. Secondly, I read the issue last night while listening to Woody's Roadhouse (a fine radio program celebrating its fifth year this very night; click the link and tune in at midnight EST). And playing on either side of the following panel were the songs "Alligator Wine" by Screamin' Jay Hawkins and "Kickapoo Joy Juice" by the Rivingtons.

And while I was preparing that image just now, Cream's "Strange Brew" came on the radio. Auuugh. Not to mention Mr. Prince Charles's recent remarriage justaposed with ex-Princess Diana's... alien encounter. Damn you, Morrison.

No comments: